call it a whim

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Everybody hurts....

We've had our first faceplant. Or at least the first real one anyway. Many times before, Grady has fallen headfirst, but he's always managed to catch himself on the way down with his hands. Not today.
The scene was Target. I had just run in to purchase a few items I need for a photo shoot on Friday, and Grady, in usual toddler fashion, insisted on walking. I tried to put him in a cart three times, and each time he went stiff as a board and screeched. When I decided we were making a big enough scene, I let him win the battle (a surefire way to lose the war, mind you). We were walking in front of the checkout aisles and Grady stopped to try to pull a women's sweater off a hanger in front of him. I issued a stern "NO" and attempted to hold his hand. He pulled away and took off at a run. He caught the toe of his Stride Rites on the polished floor and down he went. It was one of those times where everything goes slow motion. I tried to get there, but I just wasn't fast enough. I could see clearly, though, that his hands weren't going to shoot out and protect his face. The thud of his forehead against the vinyl was loud enough to summon every cashier and two assistant managers to our service.
He let out one of those wails that takes a minute to produce. His face contorted first and the snot started running from his nose, but there was no sound. Then suddenly a woosh of air, and a heartwrenching sob that every mommy knows is the real deal. It was all I could do not to get down and sob as well, I felt so bad for him. The Target ladies were all so nice. Offers of ice and kleenex came first, along with an offer for a cart to put him in. Apparently they had not seen the cart battle moments before.
When he finally peeled his head from my chest to look up, I feared the worst. Teeth missing or at the very least a bloody nose. He looked surprisingly good, however and I issued a sigh of relief. One of the cashier's went into panic mode anyway, and kept insisting that I let her call 911. I know well enough that if the child does not black out they are usually ok. I checked his pupils and got him to walk around and determined that we were head injury free. I assured the cashier that if he began vomiting or lost balance or acted sleepy I would take him to the ER immediately. That seemed to assure her that I knew slightly what I was talking about, and she only followed us for 5 minutes instead of 10.
Grady got a nice purple mark on his noggin, but I also bought him a new toy car, so he's feeling much better now. Hopefully, the cashier has also recovered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home