call it a whim

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Perspective

Ok, back in the day I missed a lot of class. This stemmed from all of the normal things that are happening in the life of a college student, plus the fact that my family life was quite rocky (isn't that a nice way to say it), I was sick a lot, and I was working way more than I should have been. Class was close to the last thing on my list of things to get done in a day. Now, of course, I am a bit embarrassed by my actions, but at the time I really could have cared less, plus I really did have to work.
When I did manage to make it to class, one thing was a constant. The teacher was already there (and had no doubt noted the fact that I had decided to show up). I don't ever remember going to a class and not having someone there to teach it. Even if the instructor was sick, a worthy replacement had been found, and the class didn't miss a beat.
Imagine how surprised I was yesterday, when I showed up for my anatomy and physiology class, and the instructor was not there. We sat and waited, and eventually her assistant came in. "ummm....I am pretty sure Ms. ****** is not coming. If she doesn't, just read the first two chapters." Well, thanks for being very vague. So some of us waited around, hoping she would come. Nope.
I was pretty floored. It's amazing how much perspective comes with being a few years older, and not having scholarships or loans to pay the tuition. I wanted to learn, and felt robbed of the money I had already shelled out for the 3 hours I was supposed to have been there.

2 Comments:

  • I agree, perspective does change things a lot. Teaching night classes at the Uni has taught me a great deal about who is paying their own education and whose parents are--and how differently these educations are thus seen. And I agree...I am there to give them what they are paying for, and I sure hope they feel like my students get their money's worth. Best of luck to you in that class.

    By Blogger mapiprincesa!, at 10:23 PM  

  • That's kind of crappy.

    By Blogger edhigg, at 1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home