call it a whim

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Major abdominal surgery...sign me up.

I, being leery of anyone approaching me with anything sharp or pointy, am being forced to have my belly sliced open in 5 days. Granted, it will net me perhaps the greatest thing I can imagine, a son. Regardless of that and the fact that there will be medical professionals involved, there will be plenty of sharp and pointy things as well. I have to have a cesarean. I was not given an option, because if I don't there is a risk that both baby or I could lose way too much blood if we try to do it the old fashioned way. However, after learning that this is what I would have to do and trying to come to terms with all of the sharp and pointy things involved (all of the things I would have had in a normal birth times about 100 million) I have learned that there are many women out there who are envious of me. Comments like "oh, I wish my DR would let me do one of those" and "You lucked out" have been the norm. Add to that the several women who have said "My c-section was the best thing ever" and I am speechless. What...."the best thing ever"???? Isn't that like saying "oh, my appendix just burst.....YES...now I get to have surgery"!!! Sorry, I just don't buy it. I know that 24 hours of contractions probably hurts...a lot. But they'll give you drugs. And you're not left with a large wound to deal with on top of a brand new baby. Now everyone keeps telling me..."oh, the incision is so small". Well, to me, if it's bigger than a paper cut, it's large. Call me a wuss. I fully accept my wussiness. Perhaps in a week I will be sitting in my hospital bed thinking "that was great, I hope I get pregnant again right away so I can have another c-section" but I doubt it.

3 Comments:

  • Hmm, this fear sounds familiar. I bet you are a big ball of panic aren't you? I don't blame you. Sharp objects SUCK. I can tell you that I made it through a lumbar puncture last summer and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (and you know how crazy I am!!). You can do this...at least you get a baby after your LP. ;) This IS spinal tap! I love you!

    By Blogger Nicole, at 4:00 PM  

  • Courtney!

    Know that I will be praying for you and something that is definitely scary! BUT - you'll have a beautiful baby boy on the other side of it. You'll be fine... Please send me pictures... and let me know what to send the baby from Hong Kong! :) I've been looking for little boy stuff but all I've found is some random Baby stores originating in France. You let me know. Otherwise... it's BabyGap when I return.

    Keep me posted. Meredith_Story@baylor.edu

    By Blogger ----, at 10:13 PM  

  • Congratulations Courtney. Your baby is beautiful. Hope you are doing well!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home